Saturday, December 4, 2010

Blind Item: What is liquid, greenish in color, smells like cough syrup, tastes like mouthwash and can make you go crazy?

So what was your guess?



You might guess that IT IS mouth wash...



No. But almost there though!



You can drink it.




Green cough syrup? Can be, but still wrong.

My blind item is actually...




Absinthe.



Absinthe is a liquor with 40% alcohol and is made from wormwood. For centuries it was banned from different countries and I think even until now in US.

They believe that absinthe can make you go crazy because of its ingredients.

I did not have any idea what absinthe was until someone brought it during our climb in Gulugod Baboy. It has a pretty transparent bluish green color in a clear glass bottle.

They say you need to dilute absinthe with ice cold water and a sugar cube before you can drink it but during our climb, we were asked to just drink a shot or shots.

I was called to try the drink and they placed maybe half a shot in a glass and I sniffed it first. It was a familiar smell, really like cherry cough syrup.

And then I don't want the taste to linger on my tongue even for a few seconds so I immediately swallowed the alcohol and it tasted like minty mouth wash. I was like, "This is okay it's just like drinking mouthwash compared to other alcoholic drinks which taste literally like alcohol."

I have tried Jack Daniels and Chivas and I can feel my throat and insides burning while drinking them though I had to because it's very cold when you're on top of a mountain.

I'm not sure if it does make anyone go crazy, for sure I didn't. I just had one shot but the others drank the whole night and maybe they did. Not sure though.

Anyway, the taste for me is more tolerable than other alcoholic drinks since it did not feel as if my intestines are burning and the taste is sweet. You can just imagine swallowing a capful of minty mouth wash simple as that. Just always remember, whatever you're drinking,, drink it moderately. Anything that is too much is not good.

No comments:

Post a Comment