Sunday, December 19, 2010

Christmas and Gift Giving.

Christmas is near and actually I am not expecting any gifts from anyone except maybe from my mom and from our office since we have this Kris Kringle. You pick a name of one of your colleagues and you give them a gift for Christmas. Usually there is a rule like the price but you can give a more expensive gift as long as it comes from the heart but the price of the gift should at least reach the minimum price that's on the rule. There is also a wishlist so you don't need to think of what you can give to the person that you picked but it kind of removes the surprise but it is better than giving a gift cheque because it removes the spirit of opening gifts and suprising someone that you were able to actually find the gift that they wanted to receive. If you ask me, of course I won't be a hypocrite and I would still accept the gift cheque, but again, there is no more surprise on that maybe just the excitement on what you can buy with it. I am actually having troubles in buying the gift for the person that I picked, he has this airsoft gear as a wishlist and lucky for me, there is a gun shop or whatever you call it at the mall near our place and they sell airsoft equipment. Lucky for the person whom I picked, he already has a gift from me.
If you're reading this (guy from Kris Krisngle), you're lucky I bought your gift already.
I am a very shallow person and I really like getting surprises even with the smallest things or ideas. For example, give me a chocolate bar that I love and I will be smiling all the day because I know I was remembered and you know that the person made an effort to produce that gift. Give me money and of course I will definitely be smiling because I know I can buy whatever I want with the money but it's not as special compared to getting something that you really want and was even wrapped in special paper or box giving you that excitement or thrill, I bet you will be smiling from the time you receive the box up to the time you're already using the gift.I remember my mom giving me this little puppy toy when I was a kid. It was a cheap toy but it was so cute and I was staring at it while she wraps it so she can give it to my cousins. I asked her if I can have it and she replied it was for my cousins. I did not ask for it again and then Christmas came, I opened my mom's gift for me and it was that toy puppy. I was so happy and it was one of those memorable Cristmas gifts that I had.
Sodexo GC. Can buy anything from SM Malls.
 
Starbucks GC. Might buy tumbler with this one.
 I am not saying all people are like me but I think most are - maybe 70% will be happy you've given something that is not expensive but you really gave an effort in giving it to them. So you have 30% chance in failure but hey, it's glass more than half full, if they don't accept it or if they are not happy, it's not your loss, give it to somebody else who might appreciate it 100 times more.

I'm definitely gonna get something my heart desires...
And so... if you're gonna give someone a gift and you want that person to smile all day and remember you for the rest of their life (maybe not really but they will remember you for sure) make sure you give that person
something that he or she really likes. It does not mean giving something super expensive or their dream car, you can ask them or chat with them and get a few hints or if you're close with the person like a relative or best friend, you should already know what they want and for sure, it will be one if their memorable Christmas and yours too.

No comments:

Post a Comment