Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Halloween 2010 and preparation for Cinco Pincos EMS Annual Climb

    When you say Halloween, we think of costumes and parties, pumpkins and scary things. It's actually an American tradition but recently our country has adapted it already. The last time that I attended a Halloween party was 2008 where my gym buddies and I went to The Embassy Superclub at The Fort in Taguig. It was a white themed party where everyone was wearing some white costume like angel wings or fairy wings and some just wore white. I on the other hand wore a dark clothing because we did not know the theme was white. It was one of the few events in my life that I went to a club to party because I am a bit ochlophobic or I don't like being with too many people or in a crowd plus I don't like noise and I don't drink nor smoke though I like the type of music they play in clubs.
This pic was taken during Halloween 2008 at The Embassy.
    Anyway, yesterday I went to Marikina Sports Park for some endurance test for our climb in Cinco Pincos (last April 2010, I became an official mountaineer for the Eastern Mountaineering Society of the Philippines). I had to wake up 5:00AM and I only had 3 hours of sleep because I had a movie marathon they day before and got home around 2:00AM. After the endurance test, I asked for my friend Zed to accompany me in buying a new trekking bag in Trinoma. Actually I think I have endured more that what I needed to endure during that day because we walked the whole day just for that bag. So back to the bag story, I already scoured most of the sports shop the day before and I really can't afford The North Face nor Deuter bags because they are too expensive. Well, actually I can buy them if I want to since I have the money but it's not practical to buy a bag that is worth 8,000 pesos that is almost 180 US dollars. I bought a 40+5 liter trekking bag instead from a local brand Sandugo. The bag looked great plus it's not that expensive! Yeah you can say I am promoting the brand. I got the bag for 2,750 (60 US dollars)and it has a lifetime warranty. The bag is bright red in color though they also have it in blue and it really looks sturdy. It's kind of big for my body size but I will be hiring a porter during the climb and it will be a waste of money to have the porter carry a 35 liter bag. It's like a kid's schoolbag to a porter if they carry a 35 liter size bag. To tell you the truth I got tempted in buying a TNF bag online but I got kinda scared that those might be fakes because it's 1/4 the price of the original and when I compared some of the pictures to the pictures from the TNF website, some don't look alike.

Sandugo 40+5L Trekking Bag.


So I bought the trekking bag. The sales staff especially "kuya" there even demonstrated to me how to use the bag and showed me its features. It was kind of funny because the day before I bought the bag I went there already to check the bag while eating Dairy Queen Blizzard (strawberry cheesecake flavor mmm...) and the day I bought the bag I was eating ice cream again but this time it was from Fruits and Ice Cream or FIC choco mint flavor (yum!). The bag's quality is really great. The cloth is water repelant and has what they call aerovent so air can pass through between the bag and your back so you won't sweat that much while carrying it. The quality is really great which makes me feel proud that it is Philippine made. I will be writing a more detailed review about this bag after our climb next week.

    After buying the bag, my friend and I went to stroll some more and there was this Halloween event as expected though it was only for children. We saw cute children dressed as angels, witches, super heroes, cartoon character etc. I especially liked one toddler that we saw dressed as Dracula. The toddler was really small like maybe 1 year old and he was wearing black toddler chucks, black pants and vest plus the Dracula cape which had him tripping. The sales ladies inside the boutiques even went out to call him because he's really adorable. The baby Dracula even went near me and was speaking baby language which I cannot understand (I just stared and smiled at the baby). While most children wore cute costumes, there were also some who, just for the sake of saying the wore a costume to get candies, used lipstick and smeared it on their face to represent a very unrealistic, so obviously effortless blood stain. Though it was cute, I hope I was able to see some adults dressed in realistic Halloween costumes. The security guard at our office building said there were some dressed in scary costumes last Friday which was Oct 30 but we weren't able to see them. I do hope that next Halloween I can participate in some costume events (at least once in my life).

No comments:

Post a Comment