Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Movie Review (with summary): Dorian Gray



Summary:

Dorian Gray is based on Oscar Wilde's book The Painting of Dorian Gray. It's about a beautiful young man who didn't grow old. He had a painting by a painter named Basil who got fond of his beauty. Another friend, Lord Henry Wotton also a friend of Basil taught him that only things worth pursuing in life are beauty and fulfillment of the senses. Dorian was naturally kind and good and very naive. Learning this, Dorian tried to live that kind of life. He got scared of getting old and he doesn't want his beauty to fade and so he sold his soul to be forever young and the painting Basil painted would rather be the one to age and rot.

He enjoyed everything and while doing so, he was already committing sins especially lust. As Dorian was enjoying his beautiful life, every sin he committed doing it causes his painting to look old and rot indeed. In life not everything that you are enjoying or you think is good is right. He tries to get pleasure from almost anyone, everyone.

Dorian then met this singer and actress Sybil who fell in love with him but doing so she loses her abilities. Dorian who is obsessed with just the beauty in life rejects Sybil which resulted to her suicide.

Before leaving to Paris, Dorian talked to the painter Basil and blamed him for his fate and killed him. Dorian hid his painting and indeed he stayed forever young and continued doing the same immoral things.

18 years has passed and everyone he knew got old. Rumors spread about him that he never grew old. He returned to London from Paris in a party and met Lord Henry's daughter, Emily. He fell in love with her and thought of giving up his immorality but when he saw his painting, it was even worse.

Lord Henry who knew about Dorian's relationship with his daughter went to his house and searched for the painting. Dorian was able to catch Lord Henry and they had a fight. The painting's cover was then removed and a fire started from a burner and they both saw a very old, rotting man. Dorian was stunned looking at his painting. Lord Henry ran out and locked Dorian inside the room when his daughter just arrived to know what was happening. Dorian then tried to destroy the painting by piercing it but it was piercing him back. The real Dorian was then revealed. An very very old and rotting man like that in the painting and then the room exploded caused by the fire and gas leaks.

Dorian's body was found burnt but the painting was saved and miraculously went back to it's original form.

Review:

The movie was great. Highly recommended. The actor Ben Barnes was really perfect for the part of Dorian Gray though. I have liked him since Narnia: Prince Caspian movie haha! A very handsome man.

There are some differences from the book and the movie though. Like Dorian's hair color which should be blonde and not dark, how James, Sybil's brother died, how Dorian died and some characters in the story like Emily which was supposed to be Hetty.

You can learn a lot from it's story because it's about immorality, narcissism, and how it can ruin your life. Some say the movie is kinda out of pace that it quickly jumps from one event to another without some explanation etc. I think it is understandable though. I haven't really read the book but I was able to understand the story. I think everyone can relate to it's story because each of us has a part where only think of the things that can only make us happy even if it isn't the right thing to do. As for myself, I liked it because of how he didn't grow old. People tell me I look young for my real age and as a lady, it is a big deal to us to look young. And so the Dorian Gray syndrome is explained. People are scared to grow old and will try to keep that youthful look. I'm not a hypocrite and I'd say I am happy I look young but I think I won't result to surgery to maintain it lol. It's a gift and I am grateful for it. As for the sins Dorian committed, I know I think about some worldly things but I am trying to change that. Watching the movie made me realize that it can also happen to me lol. Losing yourself because of all those worldly temptations. I don't want that. :P

Overall it was a very good movie. Great one. Consider it a dark, gothic, fantasy drama. Don't forget Ben Barnes is the lead actor. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment