Thursday, November 11, 2010

Sport: Mountaineering

The manual, rope, ID and badges from the BMC.
 I started mountain climbing just last March 2010. I was invited by my college friend after we talked in Facebook about what he's been doing recently. My friend said something about joining a group. I was like, "Is he gonna invite meto join a pyramid scam?" It's kinda funny everytime I remember that thought. Anyways, during that time I was engaged in joining Fun Runs and I was enrolled at the gym and was into kickboxing.

At first I thought,
What's in it for me if I climb mountains?
Then my friend showed me pictures of his climbs. I was still not convinced after that especially after I found out that you need to sleep at the summit of almost every mountain you climb. I am not used to sleeping outdoors or some place besides my room so it was a turn off for me.

Different types of compasses.

What actually convinced me was a picture of one mountain. My friend then showed me Mount Pulag. On the picture I saw a mountain with a sea of clouds surrounding it, it was like heaven.... Instantly I was convinced to join their organization. It was love at first sight.

Marikina Youth Camp

The organization's name is Eastern Mountaineering Society of the Philippines. Most members are from the east side of Metro Manila especially Marikina and the cities near and the Rizal area though they are open to anyone. And so around February I attended their Basic Mountaineering Course at the Marikina Youth Camp which is located along Marikina Riverbanks. During BMC they teach you the basics of mountaineering like using the compass, what to bring during climbs, what to do, weather forecasting, map reading, tent pitching and knot tying.

Tent pitching

I met some new friends during BMC though there are only six of us left to date out of the twenty five who went that day. I actually learned a lot and I was even able to use the knot tying sometimes in my daily activities. So far I have climbed five mountains already. I have accepted mountaineering as a challenge for me and reaching the summit is my reward. I am a nature lover ever since and climbing moutains made me appreciate it more than ever and because of that I plan on climbing more mountains in the future.

After BMC, you become a trekker!

 P.S. Everyone is free to join but I must tell you, any sport means you need commitment and discipline. You don't just join so you can climb and you don't climb for the sake of climbing the mountain and reaching the top. Learn, explore, appreciate and respect nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment